It’s time for Jeans for Jesus! The third Thursday of the month, your child has the opportunity to support a charitable cause selected by our school community. On Thursday, November 15, 2018, we will be supporting our St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish. This is to support Thanksgiving for the needy. To participate, have your child bring $2 *and* wear their favorite jeans! (…along with appropriate shirts, socks, and shoes). Please note that denim shorts and skirts are not allowed. All donations are tax deductible.
We are so excited to celebrate All Saints Day with you! Our day is full of fun activities to celebrate the saints:
– 8:30am – 9:30am: Saints Speeches (your teachers will provide grade-specific information)
– 10:40am: Alternate Lunch Time
– 12:10pm: Holy Day Mass at the church; we will be walking from our school
– 2:00pm: All School Dance
Could you use a miracle in your life? Pope Francis reminds us that “prayer makes miracles”! Join Parents in Prayer each Monday morning at 8am in the school chapel (across from the preschool office), where your intentions will be lifted up through the saying of a rosary. If you’re new to saying the rosary, guides and rosaries are available. It’s also a wonderful opportunity to get to know other families at our school. We look forward to having you join us in prayer!
Bishop Flores Scholars: Making a Difference
Last year, the Bishop Flores Scholars Fund will provide one million dollars in tuition assistance to children in the Diocese of San Diego. The 2018-2019 school year will mark the fourth year of the “Bishop Flores Scholars Tuition Assistance Program,” which provides limited tuition assistance to qualifying families. This assistance is available ONLY for families entering Kindergarten-8th Grade in September 2018; awards will not be given to children enrolling in Preschool in September 2018.
Families may apply for the Bishop Flores Scholars Tuition Assistance Program through February 28, 2018. It’s a short window, so do not wait to apply. If you plan on seeking tuition assistance from St. Mary, Star of the Sea Elementary School for 2018/2019, you must first apply to the Bishop Flores Tuition Assistance Program before applying to the school for assistance.
You may apply for this program through the website: http://www.bishopfloresscholars.org. If you have any questions, please talk to the elementary office at 760-722-7259.
- January 2, 2018: applications available and application process begins
- February 28, 2018: deadline for student applications
- March 23, 2018: tuition assistance awards finalized. Schools and families will be notified via email late March through early April
Are you planning on attending a local Catholic High School? Here are upcoming dates to be aware of:
- Academy of Our Lady of Peace (for young women): applications due January 15, placement test January 20
- Cathedral Catholic High School (co-ed): applications due January 20, placement test January 20
- Mater Dei Catholic High School (co-ed): applications due January 20, placement test January 20
- St. Augustine Catholic High School (for young men): applications due January 20, placement test January 20
- St. Joseph’s Academy (co-ed): see website for details
Our school will be closed for Christmas Break from Monday, December 18, 2017 through Tuesday, January 2, 2018. School resumes on Wednesday, January 3, 2018. We wish you and yours a beautiful Christmas season and New Year!
We invite you and your family to attend Christmas Eve or Christmas Day Mass; multiple Mass times are available. Come home for Christmas to St. Mary, Star of the Sea!
Our students will be walking to St. Mary’s church on Friday as we celebrate the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, a Holy Day of Obligation. All families are invited to attend Mass with their child; we will begin walking at 11:40am and attending Mass at 12:10pm. Should you not be able to make this time with your child, other Mass times are available.
Why do we celebrate Mary’s conception? Church doctrine teaches us that God preserved Mary from original sin from the moment she was conceived; it was defined as a dogma of the Roman Catholic Church in 1854.
Do you shop on Amazon? We sure do! Did you know you can support St. Mary’s Parish with every purchase you make? Amazon donates a portion of every sale, at no cost to you, to any non-profit organization that you designate. CLICK HERE to set St. Mary, Star of the Sea Parish as your preferred charity/non-profit. Then, the next time you shop, start at http://smile.amazon.com and know that (at no cost to you) .5% of your purchase is going to support St. Mary’s Parish! What could be easier?
Our St. Mary, Star of the Sea Cub Scout Pack is selling Christmas tree and wreath as part of a fundraiser! These beautiful, fresh cut Christmas trees and handmade wreaths, swags and garland are available for pre-sale through November 14th.
These trees are amazing and come directly from a farm in Oregon. The trees are so fresh that sometimes they are delivered with snow still on the branches! These trees are different than what you find at the tree lots in town or the store. They are nursery quality, premium trees, hand selected, cut, loaded and delivered within a few days and not sitting in storage for weeks before purchase.
Already have an artificial tree, cannot pick up the tree, or you live out of the area? No worries, you can help support us and a military family! The Trees for Troops program gives a donated tree to a military family and we keep a portion for our fundraising efforts, it is a win-win for everyone. There are even wreaths and swag available for purchase should you not want a tree.
If you plan to purchase a tree this year, please consider purchasing one to support our Scouts. Not only will you receive an awesome tree for your family to gather this Christmas, you are supporting our programs.
We all cherish our family pictures, so please don’t miss the opportunity to capture this particular “moment in time” for your family. Whether you need a new family portrait for your Christmas card, a gift for your children’s grandparents, or a photograph on the living room wall, come make a memory with us here at St. Mary’s this holiday season.
There are three easy ways to schedule your appointment:
- click here to sign up online
- sign up after weekend Masses: November 4-5, 11-12, and 18-19 & December 2-3, 9-10 and 16-17
- call at Lifetouch 760.576.8393
There is no cost to you or the parish, and each participating family receives:
- complimentary professional sitting
- opportunity to immediately view portraits
- free 8×10 portrait
- complimentary “Our Parish Family Directory” when it publishes in the spring
- opportunity to purchase additional portrait gifts
No purchase is necessary, however additional photo packages will be available for you to purchase for yourself or to give as gifts. Please allow up to one hour for photo session and viewing of portrait selections. We look forward to seeing you there!
Location: at the Star of the Sea Center
(515 Pier View Way, Oceanside)
*photos taken on these 3 dates will be available for Christmas
– Friday Nov 24* 12:00 to 7:30
– Saturday Nov 25* 12:00 to 5:30
– Sunday Nov 26* 10:00 to 5:30
Location: at St. Mary’s School
(515 Wisconsin Ave, Oceanside)
– Monday Dec 18 12:00 to 7:30
– Tuesday Dec 19 12:00 to 7:30
– Wednesday Dec 20 12:00 to 7:30
– Thursday Dec 21 12:00 to 7:30
– Friday Dec 22 12:00 to 7:30
– Tuesday Dec 26 12:00 to 7:30
– Wednesday Dec 27 12:00 to 5:30